Shearwater Resort and Marina, also known as the ‘Gateway to the Great Bear Rainforest,’ is located on the Central Coast of British Columbia near Bella Bella on Denny Island. The rustic resort is a popular destination for Sport Fishing, Eco-Tourism and also the central hub for mariners heading to and from Alaska or Haida Gwaii via the inside passage. The resort and community are known for their adventurous coastal lifestyle, friendly hospitality, and world-class natural landscapes.
What we are hiring for?
We are looking for a Controller to join our finance and accounting team to oversee and manage our financial operations under the guidance and direction of our Chief Financial Officer.
- An excellent communicator – you can analyze and explain complex financial information and make it clear and easily understandable.
- A team player and a team builder.
- Organized – you know how to manage and prioritize, and because you plan ahead, you are comfortable with change and can be flexible.
- Detail-Oriented – you never let a small detail slip through the cracks, and you can meet deadlines while still maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
- Professional – you always maintain your professionalism and a positive attitude whether you’re interacting with management or employees.
- Able to work in a remote community.
HOW DO I APPLY?
If you feel you have the qualifications listed above and would be a great addition to our management team, we would love to hear from you!
This position is only open to Canadian citizens or candidates with a current work permit.
Your goal in this position of Controller is to oversee our accounting and finance functions, and ensure that we’re making sound financial decisions and that our financial reporting is timely and accurate. You will do this by managing accounting and financial practices like accounts payables, receivables, inventory, capital assets, as well as by performing these duties on a daily basis and always maintaining confidentiality.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Prepare, review, and analyze financial statements and financial reporting
- Oversee the accounting cycle, general ledger reconciliations, and cash management
- Assist the CFO in managing the company’s assets and finances
- Ensure solid variance analysis, and manage daily operations to ensure all transactions are recorded according to our policies and procedures
- Assist department managers in reading and interpreting financial reports and assist with implementing action plans, creating charts, graphs and other information
- Preparing information for meetings, reports, briefs, and other projects
- Assist with the development of annual budgets and manage budget variances, and forecasts throughout the year
- Prepare, reconcile, and analyze balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis
- Provide back-up support for payroll
- As the Controller, you will also be the Fuel Dock Manager, overseeing the regular purchase of fuel for our fuel dock on Denny Island, overseeing staff throughout the year.
- Oversee the fuel dock inventory levels on a daily basis and reconcile fuel dock inventory to the general ledger on a monthly basis.
- As the Controller, you will have certain IT responsibilities which include, acting as the LAN and server administrator, monitoring and maintaining Windows 10 workstations and POS terminals on the network, manage internet services for the private network and public access WiFi, oversee accounting and POS software and support departmental managers with IT assistance as required.
- CPA designation, or equivalent
- Experience working as a Controller or similar accounting position, overseeing financial operations and strategy
- A high level of proficiency with MS Office. Power-user with MS Excel for financial reporting and analysis
- Experience using accounting software, specifically Sage 50
- Familiarity with POS software, Posi-Touch and Smart Vendor
- Experience mentoring, leading and motivating employees
This is a full-time permanent position, working and living on-site at Shearwater on Denny Island. Housing is provided at a subsidized rate. You will earn a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, health and dental benefits, and paid vacation.